The Chant "Ya Muhammad"

Written by: Maulana Abu al-Hasan Mubashir Ahmad Rabbani (may Allah protect him)

Question:
I have heard that the chant "Ya Muhammad" is proven from a narration. Is this true, and what is the authenticity of this narration?

Answer:
The narration in question has been recorded by Imam Bukhari (may Allah have mercy on him) through the chain of Sufyan from Abu Ishaq from Abdul Rahman bin Sa'd, where it is mentioned that Abdullah bin Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) once experienced numbness in his foot. Someone suggested to him to mention the one most beloved to him. So, he said, "Ya Muhammad."

[Al-Adab Al-Mufrad 964]

However, this narration is weak.

The primary reason for its weakness lies in the central narrator, Abu Ishaq al-Sabi'i, who is known to be a mudallis (someone who practices tadlis, i.e., concealing the weakness in a chain by omitting certain narrators). Furthermore, this particular narration is mu'anan (where the chain includes the phrase "from" without direct evidence of hearing), which raises concerns when the narrator is known for tadlis. Additionally, Abu Ishaq experienced memory issues in his later years, which caused inconsistencies in his narrations. He has transmitted this narration through different, unknown narrators such as Al-Haytham bin Hanish (who is considered unknown) [Ibn al-Sunni: 170], Abu Shu'bah [Ibn al-Sunni: 168], and Abdul Rahman bin Sa'd [Al-Adab Al-Mufrad: 964]. Due to these issues, the narration is weakened by Abu Ishaq's tadlis and inconsistencies.

There is also a similar narration involving Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him), where it is said that a man experienced numbness in his leg, and Ibn Abbas instructed him to remember the most beloved person to him. The man said, "Muhammad," and his numbness subsided.
[Ibn al-Sunni: 129]

This narration, however, is fabricated (mawdu'). It contains the narrator Ghiyath bin Ibrahim, who is known to be a liar and fabricator.
[Al-Mughni: 2/36, Mizan al-I'tidal: 3/337, Al-Kamil: 6/2036, Ahwal al-Rijal: 370]

Thus, both narrations are unreliable, and the chant "Ya Muhammad" cannot be established from these reports.

Back