Ruling on Menstruating Women During Hajj and Umrah

Written by: Sheikh Mubashir Ahmad Rabbani (may Allah preserve him)

Question:
If a woman becomes menstruating during Hajj or Umrah, can she perform Tawaf and other rituals or not? Please clarify in light of the Quran and Hadith.

Answer:
A menstruating woman can enter the state of Ihram for Hajj and perform all the rituals except for the Tawaf of the Kaaba and the prayers. Once she becomes pure from her menstrual period, she should perform the Tawaf of the Kaaba because purity is a condition for Tawaf. If she is not in a state of purity, she cannot perform Tawaf.

Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) reported:

“We went out with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) with the intention of performing Hajj. When we reached Sarif, I menstruated. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) entered upon me while I was crying. He said, ‘What makes you cry?’ I replied, ‘I wish that I had not performed Hajj this year.’ He said, ‘Perhaps you have started your menses?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is something that Allah has decreed for the daughters of Adam. Do what the pilgrims do, except that you do not perform Tawaf around the House until you are pure.’” [Bukhari, Book of Menstruation: Hadith 294, 305, 316; Muslim: 1211; Abu Dawood: 1782; Ibn Majah: 2963; Nasai: 156/5]

This Hadith indicates that during menstruation, a woman can perform all the rituals of Hajj except for the Tawaf of the Kaaba. Once she is purified from her menstrual cycle, she should perform the Tawaf.

Back