Was Imam Abu Hanifa a Tabi'i?

Authored by: Honorable Sheikh Hafiz Zubair Ali Zai (may Allah have mercy on him)

Question:
Was Imam Abu Hanifa (may Allah have mercy on him) a Tabi'i? And is it authentically proven that he met any Companion?(Safdar Nazir, son of Manzoor Elahi, shopkeeper, Bhakkar)

Answer: All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all the worlds, and peace and blessings upon His trustworthy Messenger. To proceed:

There is a severe disagreement among scholars on this issue. Some say that Imam Abu Hanifa (may Allah have mercy on him) was a Tabi'i, while others say that he was not. Before commenting on the opinions of these two groups, two very important fundamental points are presented:

First: The book from which a statement or narration is quoted as evidence must have an authentic chain of narration (sahih li-dhatihi) or at least good (hasan li-dhatihi); otherwise, the argument is invalid.

Second: All weak and unproven evidences are rejected in the face of authentic evidence, even if they are in thousands.

With this prelude, the views of both groups are presented.

First Group:

Al-Khatib al-Baghdadi (may Allah have mercy on him) (d. 463 AH) writes:

"Al-Nu'man ibn Thabit Abu Hanifa al-Taymi, the Imam of the people of opinion and the jurist of Iraq, saw Anas ibn Malik and heard from 'Ata ibn Abi Rabah…"

[Tarikh Baghdad 13/323, 324 T 7297]

This means: Nu'man ibn Thabit, Abu Hanifa al-Taymi, the Imam of the people of opinion and the jurist of Iraq, saw Anas ibn Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) and heard from 'Ata ibn Abi Rabah.

Many later scholars have relied on this statement of Al-Khatib (may Allah have mercy on him). For example, see Al-'Ilal Al-Mutanahiyah by Ibn al-Jawzi [1/128 Hadith 196]. Some people have attributed Ibn al-Jawzi's statement to Al-Daraqutni, which is a significant mistake. See Al-Lamhaat [2/293].

Second Group:

Abu al-Hasan al-Daraqutni (may Allah have mercy on him) (d. 385 AH) was asked whether Abu Hanifa's hearing (sama') from Anas (bin Malik, may Allah be pleased with him) is authentic. He replied:

"لا ولا رؤيته، لم يلحق أبو حنيفة أحدا من الصحابة"
"No, and it is not proven that Abu Hanifa saw Anas (may Allah be pleased with him). Abu Hanifa did not meet any of the Companions."

[Tarikh Baghdad 4/208 T 1895, with an authentic chain; Su'alat al-Sahami li al-Daraqutni p. 263 T 383; al-‘Ilal al-Mutanahiyah fi al-Ahadith al-Wahiyah by Ibn al-Jawzi 1/65 under Hadith 74]

It is known that long before al-Khatib al-Baghdadi, Imam al-Daraqutni (may Allah have mercy on him) clearly declared that Imam Abu Hanifa neither saw Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) nor met him.

Note: The previous statement of the esteemed and moderate Imam al-Daraqutni (may Allah have mercy on him) has been altered and misrepresented in the book "Tabyiḍ al-Ṣaḥifah fi Manāqib al-Imām Abī Ḥanīfah" by al-Suyuti (d. 911 AH) (p. 10, with commentary by Muhammad Ashiq Ilahi Berni Deobandi).

This altered text is rejected in comparison to the original authentic books. The phrases from "Dhil al-Lā'āli" and others indicate that this mistake was due to al-Suyuti not understanding the words of Hafiz Ibn al-Jawzi correctly. In any case, the references of al-Suyuti and Ibn al-Jawzi, among others, are rejected compared to the proven statement of Imam al-Daraqutni.

Due to the earlier and more reliable status of the sayings of al-Daraqutni, his statement is given preference over that of al-Khatib.

The Key Evidence of the First Group:
Those who consider Imam Abu Hanifa (may Allah have mercy on him) a Tabi'i present a key piece of evidence.

Muhammad ibn Sa'd (Katib al-Waqidi) said (in "Tabaqat"):

"حدثنا أبو الموفق سيف بن جابر قاضي واسط قال: سمعت أبا حنيفة يقول: قدم أنس بن مالك الكوفة و نزل النخع و كان يخضب بالحمرة، قد رأيته مرارا"
"Abu al-Muwafaq Saif ibn Jaber, the judge of Wasit, narrated to us: I heard Abu Hanifa say: Anas bin Malik came to Kufa and stayed at al-Nakha', and he used to dye (his hair) with red. I have seen him many times."
[‘Uqud al-Juman fi Manaqib al-Nu’man p. 49, chapter three; Tadhkirat al-Huffaz by al-Dhahabi 1/168 T 163; Manaqib Abi Hanifa wa Sahibihi Abi Yusuf wa Muhammad ibn al-Hasan by al-Dhahabi p. 7, 8]

The summary of this narration is that Imam Abu Hanifa said he saw Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) in Kufa.

It should be noted that the primary narrator of this narration, Saif ibn Jaber, is of unknown status. His authentication is not found in any reliable book. [See "al-Tankil bima fi Ta'nib al-Kawthari min al-Abatil" by al-Mu’allimi 1/179 T 34; "Tabsirat al-Naqid" p. 218, 219; and "al-Lamhat" in "Anwar al-Bari min al-Zulumat" 2/277].

Secondly, this narration is not found in Ibn Sa’d's book "al-Tabaqat". It was narrated by Hakim Kabir Abu Ahmad Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn Ahmad ibn Ishaq (d. 378 AH) with the following chain and text:

"حدثني أبو بكر بن أبى عمر و المعدل ببخاري: حدثني أبو بكر عبدالله بن محمد بن خالد القاضي الرازي الحبال قال: حدثني عبدالله بن محمد بن عبيد القرشي المعروف بابن أبى الدنيا: نا محمد بن سعد الهاشمي صاحب الواقدي: نا أبو الموفق سيف بن جابر قاضي واسط قال: سمعت أبا حنيفة يقول: قدم أنس بن مالك الكوفة و نزل النخع و كان يخضب بالجهر (۱) قد رأيته مرارا"
[Kitab al-Asami wa al-Kuna by al-Hakim al-Kabir 4/174, chapter on Abu Hanifa]

The narrator Abu Bakr ibn Abi Umar’s authentication is unknown; thus, it is evident that this chain is neither proven from Ibn Sa'd nor from Imam Abu Hanifa. Therefore, saying "fa'inahu sah" (it is authentic) is incorrect.

Moreover, many fabricated narrations proving Imam Abu Hanifa’s status as a Tabi'i are found in "Akhbar Abi Hanifa" by al-Saymari, "Jami' al-Masanid" by al-Khwarizmi, and other books on his virtues, which rely on liars, unknown narrators, and weak narrators like Ahmad ibn al-Salt al-Hamani, etc. For a detailed critique of these narrations, refer to "al-Tankil" and "al-Lamhat".

The Decisive Evidence of the Second Group:
The moderate Imam Abu Ahmad ibn Adi al-Jurjani (may Allah have mercy on him) (d. 365 AH) states:

"ثناه عبدالله بن محمد بن عبدالعزيز: حدثني محمود بن غيلان: ثنا المقرئي: سمعت أبا حنيفة يقول: ما رأيت أفضل من عطاء و عامة ما أحدثكم خطاء"
"Abu Hanifa said: I have not seen anyone better than 'Ata (ibn Abi Rabah, a Tabi'i), and most of what I narrate to you is incorrect."

[Al-Kamil 7/2473, new edition 8/237 with an authentic chain]

This narration's chain is authentic. [Al-Asanid al-Sahihah fi Akhbar al-Imam Abi Hanifah (manuscript) p. 290]
Abdullah bin Muhammad bin Abdulaziz al-Bagawi is absolutely trustworthy. [Siyar A'lam al-Nubala 14/455] The majority of the Muhaddithin have declared him trustworthy. [Al-Asanid al-Sahihah p. 124] The criticism of Sulaimani and Ibn Adi against him is rejected. Mahmood bin Ghailan is trustworthy. [Taqrib al-Tahdhib: 2516] Abu Abdul Rahman Abdullah bin Yazid al-Muqri is a trustworthy and virtuous person. [Taqrib al-Tahdhib: 3715]

This narration is also reported by al-Khatib al-Baghdadi from Abdullah bin Muhammad al-Bagawi. [Tarikh Baghdad 13/465 with an authentic chain]
In another narration, Abdullah bin Muhammad al-Bagawi says:

"حدثنا ابن المقرئي: نا أبى قال: سمعت أبا حنيفة يقول: ما رأيت أفضل من عطاء و عامة ما (أ)حدثكم به خطأ"
"I heard Abu Hanifa say: I have not seen anyone better than 'Ata, and most of what I narrate to you is incorrect."
[Musnad Ali bin al-Ja'd 2/777 Hadith 2062, second edition 1978 with an authentic chain]

This narration's chain is also authentic.

Muhammad bin Abdullah bin Yazid al-Muqri is trustworthy. [Taqrib al-Tahdhib: 6054] Abdullah bin Yazid al-Muqri is a trustworthy and virtuous person as mentioned earlier. Abu Yahya Abdul Hamid bin Abdul Rahman al-Himmani states:

"سمعت أبا حنيفة يقول: ما رأيت أحدا أكذب من جابر الجعفي ولا أفضل من عطاء بن أبى رباح"
"I heard Abu Hanifa say: I have not seen anyone more deceitful than Jabir al-Ju'fi and I have not seen anyone better than 'Ata bin Abi Rabah."
[Al-'Ilal al-Saghir by al-Tirmidhi p. 891 with a good chain; Musnad Ali bin al-Ja'd, narration of Abdullah al-Bagawi 2/777 Hadith 2061, second edition 1977 with a good chain; Al-Kamil by Ibn Adi 2/537, second edition 2/327 with a good chain; and from him, Al-Bayhaqi in Kitab al-Qira'at Khalfa al-Imam p. 134 under Hadith 321, second edition p. 157 under Hadith 345 with a good chain]

Abu Yahya al-Himmani is a truthful narrator. [Tahdhib al-Tahdhib 2/300, T 3771] The rest of the chain is absolutely authentic.

From these authentic chains, it is evident that Imam Abu Hanifa (may Allah have mercy on him) did not see Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him, a Companion of the Prophet), otherwise, he would never have stated that he had not seen anyone better than 'Ata (a Tabi'i).

It is a well-known fact among common people that every Companion is superior to every Tabi'i. When Imam Abu Hanifa himself declared that he had not seen anyone better than 'Ata, it proves that he did not see any Companion. For more details, refer to the book "Al-Lamhat" by the researcher of Ahl-e-Hadith, Maulana Muhammad Raees Nadwi (may Allah protect him).

Summary of Research:​

Imam Abu Hanifa was not a Tabi'i, and it is not proven that he met any Companion. In this regard, the statements of al-Khatib al-Baghdadi and others are outweighed and incorrect. The opinion and research of Imam Abu al-Hasan al-Daraqutni, the master of 'Ilm al-Rijal (the science of narrators), are preferred and correct.

Muhammad bin Abdul Rahman al-Sakhawi (d. 902 AH) writes:

"وقسم معتدل كأحمد والدار قطني وابن عدي"
"A moderate group includes Ahmad, al-Daraqutni, and Ibn Adi."

[Al-Mutakallimun fi al-Rijal, p. 137]

Hafiz al-Dhahabi states:

"وقسم كالبخاري وأحمد وأبى زرعة وابن عدي معتدلون منصفون"
"A group of Muhaddithin, like Bukhari, Ahmad bin Hanbal, Abu Zur'ah (al-Razi), and Ibn Adi, were moderate and fair."

[Dhekr man Yu'tamad Qawluhu fi al-Jarh wa al-Ta'dil, p. 159]

Note: Hafiz al-Dhahabi mentioned in his book "Al-Muqizah" that Imam al-Daraqutni was sometimes lenient. [p. 83] This statement is rejected in comparison to the endorsements and praises of al-Khatib al-Baghdadi, Abdul Ghani al-Azdi, Qadi Abu al-Tayyib al-Tabari, and others. It is not proven that al-Daraqutni, al-'Ijli, Ibn Khuzaymah, and Ibn al-Jarud were lenient.

Back