Virtues of Sending Blessings on the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) in Light of Hadiths

Written by: Ghulam Mustafa Zaheer Amn Puri

Abu Huraira (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

"Whoever sends blessings upon me once, Allah will bestow ten mercies upon him."

(Sahih Muslim: 408)

In another narration:

"Whoever sends blessings upon me once, Allah writes ten good deeds for him."

(Musnad Ahmad: 2/262, with a good chain; authenticated by Ibn Hibban: 905)

Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

"Whoever sends blessings upon me once, Allah bestows ten mercies upon him, erases ten sins, and raises him by ten ranks."

(Musnad Ahmad: 3/102, 261; Amal Al-Yawm wa Al-Layla by An-Nasa'i: 62, with this wording and a good chain)

Imam Ibn Hibban (904) and Imam Hakim (1/550) have authenticated this Hadith, and Hafiz Dhahabi agreed with this authentication.

The words in Al-Mustadrak of Hakim are:

"Whoever sends blessings upon me once, Allah bestows ten mercies upon him and forgives ten sins of his."

(Authenticated by Ibn Hibban: 907)

Abdur Rahman bin Auf (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

"I met Jibreel (peace be upon him), who gave me glad tidings, saying: 'Your Lord says: Whoever sends blessings upon you, I will send mercy upon him; and whoever greets you, I will grant him peace.' So I prostrated to Allah in gratitude."

(Al-Mustadrak of Hakim: 1/550, with a good chain)

Imam Hakim declared this Hadith as "Sahih Al-Isnad" (authentic chain) and Hafiz Dhahabi agreed with him.

Abu Talha Al-Ansari (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates:

"One day, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) came with a beaming face. We said: 'We see happiness on your face.' He replied: 'An angel came to me and said: O Muhammad! Your Lord says: Are you not pleased that no one from your Ummah sends blessings upon you except that I bestow ten mercies upon him, and no one greets you except that I grant him ten peace?'”

(Musnad Ahmad: 4/29, 30; Sunan An-Nasa'i: 1283, 1295, with a sound chain)

This Hadith has been authenticated by Imam Ibn Hibban (915) and Imam Diya' Maqdisi (Al-Fath Al-Kabir by Suyuti: 142). Hafiz Iraqi considered its chain to be "Jayyid" (good) (Takhreej Ahadith Al-Ihya: 1004).

Abdur Rahman bin Auf (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates another supporting Hadith, with a good chain.

(Musnad Ahmad: 1/191)

Imam Ibn Hibban (810) authenticated this Hadith, and Imam Hakim (1/345) declared it authentic according to the criteria of Imam Bukhari and Muslim, with Hafiz Dhahabi concurring.

Abdullah bin Mas'ud (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

"Indeed, Allah has angels on the earth who roam around, conveying to me the greetings of my Ummah."

(Musnad Ahmad: 1/387, 441, 452; Sunan An-Nasa'i: 3/44, Hadith: 1282; Al-Kubra of An-Nasa'i: 6/22, with a good chain)

Many scholars have authenticated this Hadith, including Imam Ibn Hibban (914) and Imam Hakim (2/456), with Hafiz Dhahabi agreeing.

Abu Huraira (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

"Whenever anyone greets me, Allah returns my soul to me so that I can return his greeting."

(Sunan Abi Dawood: 2041)

Scholars like Hafiz Nawawi (Khulasat Al-Ahkam: 1/441, Hadith: 1440), Shaykh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Iqtidha As-Sirat Al-Mustaqim, p. 324), and others have authenticated this Hadith. Hafiz Sakhawi (Al-Maqasid Al-Hasanah: 1/587) and Hafiz Ajluni (Kashf Al-Khafa: 2/194) also deemed it authentic.

Abdullah bin Mas'ud (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

"The people closest to me on the Day of Resurrection will be those who send the most blessings upon me."

(Sunan At-Tirmidhi: 484, with a good chain)

Imam Tirmidhi and Hafiz Baghawi (Sharh As-Sunnah: 686) declared it "Hasan Gharib" (good and rare), while Imam Ibn Hibban (911) authenticated it.
Aws bin Aws (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

"Among the best of your days is Friday. On it, Adam was created, the trumpet will be blown, and the shout will be heard. So send many blessings upon me on that day, for your blessings will be presented to me."

(Musnad Ahmad: 4/8; Sunan Abi Dawood: 1047, 1531; Sunan An-Nasa'i: 1375; Sunan Ibn Majah: 1085, 1636, with a sound chain)

Scholars like Imam Ibn Khuzaymah (1733), Imam Ibn Hibban (910), and Hafiz Ibn Qattan Al-Fasi (Bayaan Al-Wahm wal-Eeham: 5/574) have authenticated this Hadith.

Abdullah bin Amr bin Al-As (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that he heard the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) say:

"When you hear the call (to prayer), repeat what the caller says, then send blessings upon me, for whoever sends blessings upon me once, Allah will bestow ten mercies upon him. Then ask Allah to grant me Al-Wasilah, a station in Paradise that will be given to only one of Allah's servants, and I hope that I will be that person. Whoever asks Al-Wasilah for me, intercession will be granted to him."

(Sahih Muslim: 384)

Abdullah bin Mas'ud (may Allah be pleased with him) used to say:

"When you send blessings upon the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him), do so in the best manner, for you do not know if that will be presented to him."
They asked him to teach them the best way, and he said: "Say: O Allah, send Your blessings, mercy, and grace upon the leader of the Messengers, the Imam of the God-fearing, the Seal of the Prophets, Muhammad, Your servant and Messenger, the leader of good and the messenger of mercy. O Allah, raise him to the Praised Station which the first and last ones will envy. O Allah, send blessings upon Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as You sent blessings upon Ibrahim and the family of Ibrahim, for You are Praiseworthy, Most Glorious. O Allah, bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as You blessed Ibrahim and the family of Ibrahim, for You are Praiseworthy, Most Glorious."

(Sunan Ibn Majah: 906; Al-Mu'jam Al-Kabir by At-Tabarani: 9/115, Hadith: 8594; Musnad Ash-Shashi: 611; Ad-Du'a Al-Kabeer by Al-Bayhaqi: 177, with a sound chain)

Benefits of Sending Blessings on the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him)​

Benefit 1:

It is attributed to Sayyiduna Abu Darda (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

"Whoever sends blessings upon me ten times in the morning and ten times in the evening, will receive my intercession on the Day of Resurrection."

(Majma' Al-Zawa'id by Al-Haythami: 1/491, 10/120; Al-Targhib wa Al-Tarhib by Al-Mundhiri: 1/233; Jala' Al-Afham by Ibn Qayyim, p. 63)

This narration is weak in terms of its chain, as the narrator Khalid bin Ma'dan did not hear it directly from Sayyiduna Abu Darda (may Allah be pleased with him). Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal (may Allah have mercy on him) has rejected this claim (Al-Marasil by Ibn Abi Hatim, p. 52; Jami' Al-Tahsil, p. 206).

Hafiz Iraqi (may Allah have mercy on him) states:

"There is a gap (in the chain)."

(Takhreej Ahadith Al-Ihya: 3/398)

Hafiz Sakhawi (may Allah have mercy on him) writes:

"There is a gap in the chain because Khalid did not hear from Abu Darda. Ibn Abi Asim also narrated it, but his chain is weak as well."

(Al-Qawl Al-Badi' fi Al-Salat 'ala Al-Habib Al-Shafi', p. 121)

Benefit 2:

It is attributed to Sayyiduna Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) that he said: I was standing before the Prophet (peace be upon him) when he said:

"Whoever sends blessings upon me eighty times on Friday, Allah will forgive his sins for eighty years." It was asked: How should we send blessings upon you, O Messenger of Allah? He replied: "Say: O Allah, send blessings upon Muhammad, Your servant, prophet, and messenger, the unlettered prophet."

(Tarikh Baghdad by Al-Khatib: 13/463; Al-Ilal Al-Mutanahiyah by Ibn Al-Jawzi: 1/468, Hadith: 796; Mizaan Al-I'tidal by Dhahabi: 3/351)

This narration is also weak because:The narrator, Wahb bin Dawood bin Suleiman Abu Al-Qasim, is deemed unreliable. Imam Khatib Baghdadi (may Allah have mercy on him) says:

"He was blind and not trustworthy."

(Tarikh Baghdad: 13/463)

Hafiz Ibn Al-Jawzi (may Allah have mercy on him) says:

"This Hadith is not authentic."

(Al-Ilal Al-Mutanahiyah: 1/468)

Hafiz Sakhawi (may Allah have mercy on him) states:

"Hafiz Iraqi (may Allah have mercy on him) and before him Abu Abdullah bin An-Nu'man considered this Hadith as Hasan, but it requires further investigation."

(Al-Qawl Al-Badi': p. 199)

Benefit 3:

It is attributed to Sayyiduna Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:

"Whoever sends blessings upon me, his blessings reach me, and I pray for mercy upon him. In addition, ten good deeds are written for him."

(Al-Mu'jam Al-Awsat by Al-Tabarani: 1642)

This narration is weak for two reasons:

1. The narrator, Ishaq bin Zaid bin Abdul Kabeer Al-Khatabi, is "Majhul Al-Hal" (unknown condition). Except for Imam Ibn Hibban (Al-Thiqat: 8/122), no one has declared him trustworthy.
  2. The narrator Abu Ja'far Razi (Hasan Al-Hadith) is particularly weak when narrating from Rabi' bin Anas. Imam Ibn Hibban (may Allah have mercy on him) writes about Rabi' bin Anas:
    "The scholars avoid his narrations that are transmitted by Abu Ja'far, as they are full of inconsistencies."
    (Al-Thiqat: 4/228)
It is worth noting that the teacher of Imam Al-Tabarani in this narration, Ahmad bin Nadr bin Bahr Al-Muqri, Al-Askeri, is trustworthy.

Benefit 4:

It is narrated that Imam Abdul Malik bin Abdul Aziz, Ibn Jurayj (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

"I asked Imam Ata (may Allah have mercy on him): What if no one is in the house? He replied: 'Then say: Peace be upon the Prophet, and the mercy and blessings of Allah. Peace be upon us and upon the righteous servants of Allah. Peace be upon the people of the house and the mercy of Allah.'"

(Tafsir Al-Tabari: 17/379, and in another version: 18/174)

This narration is also weak because it is unclear who is the narrator Qasim bin Hasan.

Benefit 5:

Imam Malik (may Allah have mercy on him) narrates that he received the following:

"When entering an uninhabited house, one should say: Peace be upon us and upon the righteous servants of Allah."

(Al-Muwatta by Imam Malik: 2/962)

This narration is weak because the person who conveyed this statement to Imam Malik is unknown and unidentified.

Benefit 6:

It is attributed to Sayyiduna Abdullah bin Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) in the reliable books of Hanafi Fiqh that he said:

"Every believer is accompanied by five angels; one on his right side who writes good deeds, another on his left side who writes sins, a third in front of him who prompts him to do good, a fourth behind him who repels harm from him, and a fifth at his forehead who writes down the blessings sent upon the Prophet (peace be upon him) and delivers them to the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him)."

(Al-Inayah Sharh Al-Hidayah by Al-Babarti: 1/321; Al-Jawhara An-Nayyirah by Al-Haddad: 1/56; Tabyin Al-Haqaiq Sharh Kanz Al-Daqaiq by Az-Zayla’i Al-Hanafi: 1/126; Al-Bahr Al-Raiq Sharh Kanz Al-Daqaiq by Ibn Nujaym: 1/256; Minhat Al-Suluk by Al-Ayni Al-Hanafi, p. 142; Hashiyah Al-Tahawi ala Maraqi Al-Falah by Al-Tahawi: 1/275; Maraqi Al-Falah Sharh Nur Al-Idah by Al-Sharnbalali, p. 102)

However, this is a baseless fabrication and a blatant lie that some people have attributed to Sayyiduna Abdullah bin Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him), without any fear of Allah's accountability.

Benefit 7:

It is narrated that the dowry of Sayyiduna Adam (peace be upon him) for Sayyidah Hawwa (peace be upon her) was that he would send blessings upon the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

(Bustaan Al-Wa'izeen wa Riyadh As-Saam'een by Ibn Al-Jawzi, p. 307; Bihar Al-Anwar by Al-Majlisi Al-Rafidi: 15/33)

However, no Muslim has ever been able to find a chain of transmission for this fabricated story.

Benefit 8:

Shaykh Muhammad Zakariya Tablighi Deobandi has narrated a fabricated dream without any refutation:

"(The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:) I attend to the plea of anyone who sends abundant blessings upon me."

(Tablighi Nisaab, p. 791)

Instead of refuting this fabricated dream, Shaykh Zakariya used it as evidence for calling upon the Prophet (peace be upon him) after his death, which is clearly shirk (polytheism).

Benefit 9:

Some people claim that the funeral prayer was not offered for the Prophet (peace be upon him); instead, the Companions would go in groups, recite blessings, and then leave. However, this statement is false because it contradicts authentic narrations and the consensus of the Ummah.

The funeral prayer was indeed offered for the Prophet (peace be upon him), but there was no Imam; everyone prayed individually.

Back