The Punishment for Not Reciting Salawat (Sending Blessings upon the Prophet)

Written by: Ibn al-Hasan Muhammadi

1. The Miser Who Does Not Send Salawat​

Sayyiduna Husayn ibn Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said:

"The miser is the one in whose presence my name is mentioned, and he does not send Salawat (blessings) upon me."

(Musnad al-Imam Ahmad: 1/201; Sunan al-Tirmidhi: 3546; Fadl al-Salat 'ala al-Nabi by Imam Ismail al-Qadi: 32; Al-Mustadrak 'ala al-Sahihayn by al-Hakim: 1/549, and its chain is sound)

Imam al-Tirmidhi (3546) graded this Hadith as "Hasan Sahih Gharib," Imam Ibn Hibban (909) graded it as "Sahih," and Imam al-Hakim declared its chain as "Sahih." Hafiz al-Dhahabi also considered it "Sahih."

Hafiz Ibn Hajar (may Allah have mercy on him) stated:

"This Hadith does not fall short of the rank of Hasan."

(Fath al-Bari: 11/186)

2. The Disgraced Who Does Not Send Salawat​

Sayyiduna Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said:

"May the nose of the man who hears my mention and does not send Salawat upon me be covered in dust."

(Musnad al-Imam Ahmad: 2/254; Sunan al-Tirmidhi: 3545; Fadl al-Salat 'ala al-Nabi by Qadi Ismail: 16, and its chain is sound)

Imam al-Tirmidhi graded this Hadith as "Hasan Gharib," and Imam Ibn Hibban (908) graded it as "Sahih."

3. The Three "Ameen" Statements​

Sayyiduna Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated:

"The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) ascended the pulpit. When he placed his foot on the first step, he said 'Ameen.' Then he ascended to the next step and said 'Ameen' again. Then he ascended to the third step and said 'Ameen' once more. After descending, the Companions asked, 'O Messenger of Allah! We heard something from you today that we never heard before.' The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) replied, 'Gabriel came to me and said: May he be disgraced who finds the month of Ramadan and does not attain forgiveness. I said, Ameen. Then Gabriel said: May he be disgraced who finds both of his parents or one of them in old age and does not enter Paradise (by serving them). I said, Ameen. Then Gabriel said: May he be disgraced in whose presence you are mentioned and he does not send Salawat upon you. I said, Ameen.'"

(Al-Mu'jam al-Awsat by al-Tabarani: 8131, Musnad Abi Ya'la: 5922, and its chain is sound)

Another narration states:

"The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) ascended the pulpit and said 'Ameen, Ameen, Ameen.' He was asked, 'O Messenger of Allah, you have done something today that you did not do before.' He replied, 'Gabriel came to me and said: May Allah disgrace the servant who finds the month of Ramadan and does not attain forgiveness. I said, Ameen. Then Gabriel said: May Allah disgrace the servant who finds both of his parents or one of them and they do not lead him to Paradise. I said, Ameen. Then Gabriel said: May Allah disgrace the servant in whose presence you are mentioned and he does not send Salawat upon you. I said, Ameen.'"

(Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah: 1888, and its chain is sound)

4. Destruction for Those Who Do Not Send Salawat​

Sayyiduna Ka'b ibn 'Ujrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated:

"The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said: 'Bring the pulpit.' We brought it, and when he ascended the first step, he said 'Ameen.' When he ascended the second step, he said 'Ameen.' When he ascended the third step, he said 'Ameen.' After descending, we asked, 'O Messenger of Allah! We heard something from you today that we never heard before.' He replied, 'Gabriel came to me and said: May he be disgraced who finds Ramadan and is not forgiven. I said, Ameen. When I ascended the second step, he said: May he be disgraced who hears your name mentioned and does not send Salawat upon you. I said, Ameen. When I ascended the third step, he said: May he be disgraced who finds his parents in old age and they do not lead him to Paradise. I said, Ameen.'"

(Al-Mustadrak 'ala al-Sahihayn by al-Hakim: 4/153, and its chain is sound)

Imam al-Hakim graded this Hadith as "Sahih al-Isnad," and Hafiz al-Dhahabi graded it as "Sahih."

Note:

It is attributed to Sayyiduna Husayn ibn Ali (may Allah be pleased with them) that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said:

"Whoever hears my mention and does not send Salawat upon me has deviated from the path to Paradise."

(Al-Dhurriah al-Tahirah by al-Dulabi, p. 88; Al-Mu'jam al-Kabir by al-Tabarani: 3/128)

However, this narration has a "weak" chain. Among its narrators is Muhammad ibn Bashir al-Kindi, who is unreliable.

Back