The Practice of Reciting Takbeer Aloud on the Way to the Eid Prayer

It is established that reciting Takbeer aloud on the way to the Eid prayer is a Sunnah. [Al-Sunan al-Kubra by al-Bayhaqi 3/279, with a sound chain]. While the specific words of the Takbeer are not proven by any authentic Marfu’ Hadith, they are verified through the actions of the Sahabah (may Allah be pleased with them) and the Tabi'un (may Allah have mercy on them).

Abdullah bin Umar (may Allah be pleased with them)​

It is narrated that Abdullah bin Umar (may Allah be pleased with them) used to go from the mosque to the Eid prayer ground early in the morning on Eid day, reciting the Takbeer aloud all the way. He continued this until the Imam came to lead the prayer.
[Al-Sunan al-Kubra by al-Bayhaqi 3/279, with a sound chain].

Abdullah bin Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them)​

The following Takbeer is attributed to Abdullah bin Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them):

"الله أكبر كبيرا، الله أكبر كبيرا، الله أكبر و أجل الله أكبر ولله الحمد."[Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah 2/168 Hadith 5654, with a sound chain]

Salman Al-Farsi (may Allah be pleased with him)​

Salman Al-Farsi (may Allah be pleased with him) used to teach the following Takbeer:

"الله أكبر، الله أكبر، اللهم أنت أعلي و أجل من أن تكون لك صاحبة أو يكون لك ولد أو يكون لك شريك فى الملك أو يكون لك ولي من الذل و كبره تكبيرا الله أكبر تكبيرا (كبيرا) اللهم اغفرلنا اللهم ارحمنا."[Musannaf Abdur Razzaq 11/295 Hadith 20581, with a sound chain]

Imam Abdur Razzaq has confirmed the hearing of this narration. See:
[Al-Sunan al-Kubra by al-Bayhaqi 3/316].

Ibrahim al-Nakha'i (may Allah have mercy on him)​

The young Tabi'i Ibrahim al-Nakha'i (may Allah have mercy on him) states:

"They used to recite Takbeer on the Day of Arafah while facing the Qibla during prayer: الله أكبر، الله أكبر لا إله إلا الله و الله أكبر الله أكبر ولله الحمد."[Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah 2/167 Hadith 5649, with a sound chain]

One may recite any of the established words of Takbeer mentioned above.

Wa ma 'alayna illa al-balag.

Back