Obligation of Sending Darood (Salutations) upon the Prophet ﷺ

Written by: Shaykh Ghulam Mustafa Zaheer Ameenpuri (Hafizahullah)

1.​

Sending Darood when the Prophet ﷺ is mentioned is obligatory. A stern warning is given to those who neglect this.

Hadith: Abu Huraira (RA) narrated that the Prophet ﷺ said:
"May the nose of the person be humbled into dust who hears my name but does not send blessings upon me."
[Musnad Ahmad, Tirmidhi 3545]

In another narration, Jibreel (AS) said, “May Allah distance whoever hears your mention but does not send blessings upon you.” The Prophet ﷺ replied, “Ameen.”
[Musnad Abu Ya’la, Al-Mu'jam al-Awsat by Tabarani]

2.​

It is obligatory to send Darood in the final Tashahhud of the prayer.

Hadith: A companion asked the Prophet ﷺ how to send blessings in prayer. The Prophet ﷺ taught:
"O Allah, send blessings upon Muhammad, the unlettered Prophet, and upon the family of Muhammad, as You sent blessings upon Ibrahim and his family..."
[Musnad Ahmad, Darqutni]

Scholars like Imam Shafi'i, Imam Malik, and others view Darood in Tashahhud as obligatory.

3.​

It is obligatory to mention Allah and send Darood in gatherings.

Hadith: Abu Huraira (RA) reported that the Prophet ﷺ said:
"Any group that gathers and does not mention Allah or send salutations upon the Prophet ﷺ will regret it on the Day of Judgment."
[Musnad Ahmad, Amal al-Yawm wa al-Laylah by Al-Nasa’i]

Shaykh Al-Albani emphasized that neglecting Darood in gatherings leads to regret on the Day of Judgment.

4.​

Darood is also obligatory in the funeral prayer after the first Takbir, following Surah Al-Fatiha.

Hadith: Sahl ibn Hunaif (RA) narrated that during a funeral prayer, the Prophet ﷺ recited Al-Fatiha, sent Darood, and made a supplication for the deceased.
[Sunan al-Daraqutni, Al-Sunan al-Kubra by Al-Bayhaqi]

Conclusion:
Sending Darood upon hearing the Prophet's ﷺ name, in the final Tashahhud, in gatherings, and in the funeral prayer is obligatory and emphasized in numerous authentic Hadiths. Neglecting this duty leads to regret and loss on the Day of Judgment.

Back