Lulak Ma Khalaqtu Al-Aflak: If You Had Not Been Created, I Would Not Have Created the Heavens

Question:​

Respected Hafiz Zubair Ali Zai Sahib, is it true that if the Holy Prophet (PBUH) had not been created, Allah would not have created the universe? Please explain. (Muhammad Nadeem Salafi, Circular Road, Rawalpindi)

Answer:​

Some people say that Allah said:

لولاک ما خلقت الأفلاک​

" (O Prophet!) If you had not been created, I would not have created the heavens and the earth."

There is no evidence of this statement in any book of Hadith with a chain of narration. Sheikh Hasan bin Muhammad al-Saghani (died 650 AH) declared this unsourced statement as "fabricated." Refer to:

• Mawdoo’aat al-Saghani [78]
  • Tadhkirat al-Mawdoo’aat [p. 86] by Muhammad Tahir al-Futni al-Hindi (died 986 AH)
  • Al-Fawaid al-Majmoo’ah fi al-Ahadith al-Mawdoo’ah by Al-Shawkani [p. 326]
  • Al-Asrar al-Marfoo’ah fi al-Akhbar al-Mawdoo’ah by Mulla Ali al-Qari al-Hanafi [385]
  • Kashf al-Khafa by Al-Ajluni [2123]
  • Al-Athar al-Marfoo’ah fi al-Akhbar al-Mawdoo’ah by Abdul Hayy al-Laknawi [p. 40]
Note:

Both Al-Ajluni and Mulla Ali Qari, after quoting Hasan al-Saghani's view that this statement is "fabricated," wrote that "its meaning is correct."However, if this narration is invalid, fabricated, and falsely attributed to Allah and His Messenger, on what basis can its meaning be considered correct?

Mulla Ali Qari writes that Daylami narrated from Ibn Abbas (RA) in a marfoo’ manner:

أتاني جبريل فقال : يا محمد ! لولاك ما خلقت الجنة ولولاك ما خلقت النار​

“Jibreel came to me and said: O Muhammad! If you had not been created, I would not have created Paradise, and if you had not been created, I would not have created the Fire.”

This narration is cited in:

• Kanz al-Ummal [431/11, Hadith 32025]
  • Kashf al-Khafa [1/45, Hadith 91]
However, in Daylami's (died 509 AH) book Firdaws al-Akhbar, this narration is mentioned without a chain of narration or source. [5/338, Hadith 8095]

Thus, it is evident that this narration is also fabricated and rejected due to the lack of a chain and source.

The hadith scholar Ahmad bin Muhammad bin Haroon bin Yazeed al-Khallal (died 311 AH) reported without any chain or source:

يا محمد ! لولاك ما خلقت آدم​

“O Muhammad (PBUH)! If you had not been created, I would not have created Adam.”

This narration is also fabricated due to the lack of a chain and source.

Mulla Ali Qari reported from Ibn Asakir:

لولاك ما خلقت الدنيا “If you had not been created, the world would not have been created.”

This narration is found in:

• Tareekh Dimashq [3/296, 297]
  • Al-Mawdoo’aat by Ibn al-Jawzi [1/288, 289]
  • Al-Lali al-Masnoo’ah fi al-Ahadith al-Mawdoo’ah by Al-Suyuti [1/272]
Ibn al-Jawzi said:

“This is undoubtedly a fabricated hadith. Its chain includes unknown and weak narrators such as Abu al-Sakeen and Ibrahim bin al-Yasa’. Al-Daraqutni said: Abu al-Sakeen is weak, and Ibrahim and Yahya al-Basri are abandoned narrators. Ahmad bin Hanbal said: Yahya al-Basri fabricated hadiths, and Al-Fallas said: He was a liar who narrated fabricated hadiths. Al-Daraqutni also said: He is abandoned.”

• Al-Mawdoo’aat, edited version, vol. 2, p. 19, Hadith 549, old version, vol. 1, pp. 289-290
Al-Suyuti said:

“Fabricated.”

• Al-Lali al-Masnoo’ah, vol. 1, p. 272
Its narrator Khalil bin Murrah is also weak. Refer to Taqreeb al-Tahdheeb [1757]

In a marfoo’ narration attributed to Umar (RA), it is written:

ولولا محمد ما خلقتك​

“(O Adam!) If Muhammad (PBUH) had not been created, I would not have created you.”

• Al-Mustadrak by Al-Hakim, vol. 2, p. 615, Hadith 4228
Although Al-Hakim declared this narration authentic, it is fabricated for several reasons:

1. Hafiz Dhahabi said: “Rather, it is fabricated, and Abdur-Rahman is very weak.” - Talkhees al-Mustadrak, vol. 2, p. 672
  2. Abdur-Rahman bin Zayd bin Aslam has been criticized by Al-Hakim himself: “He narrated fabricated hadiths from his father. It is not hidden from the experts of this field that the fault lies with him.” - Al-Madkhal ila al-Saheeh, p. 154, no. 97
Thus, he fabricated hadiths and attributed them falsely to his father.

Note:

The Mustadrak narration is reported by Abdur-Rahman bin Zayd bin Aslam - provided its authenticity - from his own father.

1. Abdullah bin Muslim al-Fahri is either unknown or the notorious liar Abdullah bin Muslim bin Rashid. Refer to Lisan al-Mizan, vol. 3, pp. 359-360, new edition, vol. 4, pp. 161-162
Thus, Al-Hakim's declaration of this narration as "authentic" is incorrect.

In another Mustadrak narration, Ibn Abbas (RA) reported:

فلولا محمد ما خلقت آدم ولولا محمد ما خلقت الجنة ولا النار “If Muhammad (PBUH) had not been created, I would not have created Adam, and if Muhammad (PBUH) had not been created, I would not have created Paradise or Hell.”

• Al-Mustadrak, vol. 2, p. 615, Hadith 4227
This narration is also fabricated and rejected for several reasons:

1. Hafiz Dhahabi said: “I think it is fabricated on Saeed.” - Talkhees al-Mustadrak, vol. 2, p. 671
  2. Amr bin Aws is unknown. Refer to Meezan al-I’tidal, vol. 3, p. 246, and Lisan al-Mizan, vol. 4, p. 354
  3. Saeed bin Abi Aroobah experienced confusion.
  4. Both Saeed bin Abi Aroobah and Qatadah practiced tadlis. Even if this narration were proven from them, it would be rejected.
  5. In the Tabaqat Abi al-Sheikh al-Asbahani [vol. 3, p. 287, Hadith 494], this narration is reported with the chain of Jandal bin al-Waqi’ through Muhammad bin Umar al-Mahari from Saeed bin Aws al-Ansari from Saeed bin Abi Aroobah... etc. This chain includes Muhammad bin Umar, who is unknown and has replaced Amr bin Aws with Saeed bin Aws.

Conclusion:​

The narration "Lulak Ma Khalaqtu Al-Aflak" and all narrations of similar meaning are fabricated and false.

Allah Almighty says:

وَمَا خَلَقْتُ الْجِنَّ وَالْإِنْسَ إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُونِ

"And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me." [51:56]

And we are only responsible for conveying the message. (January 10, 2007)

Back