Is it Permissible to Touch the Quran Without Wudu?

Written by: Ghulam Mustafa Zaheer Ameenpuri

Question:

Is it permissible to touch the Quran without being in a state of Wudu?

Answer:

It is not permissible to hold and recite the Quran without being in a state of Wudu. The righteous predecessors (Salaf al-Salih) understood this from the texts of the Quran and Sunnah. The understanding of the Quran and Sunnah that the pious predecessors had is the one that holds value. This is the essence of the Ahl al-Hadith school of thought. Let's delve into the details:

❶ Allah Almighty says:
لَا يَمَسُّهُ إِلَّا الْمُطَهَّرُونَ
“None touch it except the purified.”

[Al-Waqi'ah: 79]

Although this verse refers to the angels, it is also inferred from the text that humans should also handle the Quran in a state of purity, as explained by:

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (661-728 AH) said:

"This is a type of admonition and indication. If the scriptures in the heavens are not touched except by the purified, then likewise, the Quran in our hands should not be touched except by those who are pure."

[Al-Tibyan fi Aqsam al-Quran by Ibn al-Qayyim, p. 338]

Allama Al-Tibi, commenting on this verse, writes:

"The pronoun either refers to the Quran, meaning people should not touch it except in a state of purity, or it refers to the Preserved Tablet (Al-Lawh Al-Mahfuz). In this case, 'none' is a negative statement, and 'the purified' refers to the angels. The hadith clarifies that the former interpretation is the stronger one. This is also supported by the fact that the Quran is described as noble and established in the Preserved Tablet. Thus, the ruling that it should not be touched applies to both the heavenly (Al-Lawh Al-Mahfuz) and earthly (Mushaf) forms of the Quran."

[Tuhfat al-Ahwazi by Muhammad Abdul Rahman Mubarakpuri: 1/137]

Nafi', a Tabi'i, reports about Abdullah bin Umar (may Allah be pleased with him):

"He would not touch the Mushaf except in a state of purity."

[Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah: 1/232, with a Sahih chain]

Mus'ab bin Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas, a Tabi'i, states:

"I was holding a Mushaf for my father, Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas (may Allah be pleased with him). I scratched my body, and he asked me: 'Did you touch your private part?' I said: 'Yes.' He then said: 'Go and perform Wudu.' So I went, performed Wudu, and then returned."

[Al-Muwatta of Imam Malik: 1/42, with a Sahih chain]

Ghalib Abu Hadhil narrates:

"Abu Razin (Mas'ud bin Malik) commanded me to open the Mushaf without Wudu. I asked Ibrahim (Al-Nakha'i) about it, and he disapproved of it."
[Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah: 2/321, with a Hasan chain]

Imam Waki' bin Jarrah said:

"Sufyan disliked touching the Mushaf while not in a state of Wudu."

[Kitab al-Masahif by Ibn Abi Dawood: 740, with a Sahih chain]

The Tabi'is Hukm bin 'Utaybah and Hammad bin Abi Sulayman were asked about a person holding the Quran without Wudu, and they said:

"If it is in a cover, there is no harm."

[Kitab al-Masahif by Ibn Abi Dawood: 762, with a Sahih chain]

This indicates that touching the Quran without a cover and without Wudu was also not permissible according to these scholars.

Imam Malik said:

"Even if the Quran is in a cover or placed on a cushion, only a purified person should carry it."

[Al-Muwatta: 1/199]

Imam Shafi'i, Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal, and Imam Ishaq bin Rahwayh also held this view, as mentioned by Imam Tirmidhi:

"Many scholars from among the Companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and the Tabi'in have said that a person can recite the Quran without Wudu, but he should only touch the Mushaf when in a state of purity. This is the opinion of Sufyan al-Thawri, Shafi'i, Ahmad, and Ishaq."

[Sunan al-Tirmidhi, under Hadith: 146]

The commentator of Tirmidhi, Allama Muhammad Abdul Rahman Mubarakpuri, said:

"The opinion of the majority of the jurists is preferable in my view. It also aligns with the respect and honor due to the Quran. The apparent meaning of 'purified' in this hadith refers to a person in a state of Wudu, as the person with Wudu is the complete example of a purified individual. Allah knows best!"

[Tuhfat al-Ahwazi: 1/137]

Conclusion:

The Quran can be recited verbally without Wudu, but it should not be held for recitation without Wudu. This is the stronger opinion, as it is established from the texts of the Quran and Sunnah in light of the statements of the righteous predecessors.

Back