Ihram for Umrah During Menstruation

Fatwa by: Former Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Sheikh Ibn Baz (رحمه الله)

Question:

A woman asks that she was experiencing menstruation. Her family intended to perform Umrah. If she didn't go with her family, she would have to stay home alone. Therefore, she traveled with them for Umrah and performed all the rituals of Umrah, including Tawaf and Sa’i, as if she had no excuse preventing her from performing Umrah. She did this out of ignorance and embarrassment, as she would have had to inform her guardian (father, etc.) about her condition. Additionally, she is illiterate and cannot read or write. Given these circumstances, what should she do now?

Answer:

If she had assumed Ihram for Umrah with her family, then after performing Ghusl (ritual purification), it is obligatory for her to perform Tawaf again. She should also cut her hair when exiting Ihram. However, according to the correct view of the scholars, her Sa’i is valid and sufficient. Nonetheless, it is more cautious and preferable for her to perform Sa’i again after performing Tawaf. She should seek Allah’s forgiveness for performing Tawaf and the two Rak’ah prayer of Tawaf during her menstruation.

If the woman is married, she will not be lawful to her husband until the completion of her Umrah. If her husband had intercourse with her before completing Umrah, then her Umrah is invalidated. In this case, she must sacrifice a one-year-old sheep or a two-year-old goat (dondah) in Makkah for the poor as expiation. As mentioned earlier, she must also complete the Umrah by re-assuming Ihram from the same place where she initially assumed Ihram and perform another Umrah in place of the invalidated one.

However, if the woman, due to modesty, performed Tawaf and Sa’i with her family but did not assume Ihram from the Miqat, she only needs to repent, as assuming Ihram is a condition for Hajj and Umrah, and Ihram means intending for Umrah, Hajj, or both. We ask Allah to guide everyone and to protect us from the attacks of Satan.

Back