Gift of the Pious in Authentic Supplications | Authentic Prayers and Supplications

Author: Hafiz Zubair Ali Zai (may Allah have mercy on him)
  1. Supplications Upon Waking from Sleep
➊ After waking up, recite this supplication:اَلْحَمْدُ لِلّٰهِ الَّذِيْ اَحْيَانَا بَعْدَ مَا اَمَا تَنَا وَ اِلَيْهِ النُّشُوْرُ."All praise is due to Allah, who revived us to life after causing us to die, and to Him is the resurrection."

[Sahih Bukhari: 6324]

➋ If a person wakes up suddenly at night, they should recite this supplication:

لَا اِلٰهَ اِلَّا اللهُ وَحْدَهٗ لَا شَرِيْكَ لَهٗ، لَهُ الْمُلْكُ وَلَهُ الْحَمْدُ، وَهُوَ عَليٰ كُلِّ شَيْ ءٍ قَدِيْرٌ. اَلْحَمْدُ لِلّٰهِ وَ سُبْحَانَ اللهِ وَ لَا اِلٰهَ اِلَّا اللهُ وَاللهُ اَكْبَرُ وَلَا حَوْلَ وَلَا قُوَّةَ اَلَّا بِاللهِ، اَللّٰهُمَّ اغفِرْلِيْ.​

"There is no deity except Allah, alone without partner. To Him belongs sovereignty and praise, and He has power over all things. All praise is due to Allah, Glory be to Allah, there is no deity except Allah, Allah is the Greatest. There is no might or power except through Allah. O Allah, forgive me." [Sahih Bukhari: 1154]After this, any supplication made is accepted, and if one performs ablution and prays, the prayer is accepted.

[Sahih Bukhari: 1154]

➌ The Prophet ﷺ would often say at length upon waking at night:

سُبْحَانَ اللهِ رَبَّ الْعَالَمِيْنَ​

"Glory be to Allah, the Lord of all the worlds." Then he would say:

سُبْحَانَ رَبِّيْ وَ بِحَمْدِه​

"Glory be to my Lord, and all praise is due to Him." [Sahih Abu Awanah vol. 2, p. 303 with a sound chain, Sunan an-Nasa'i 3/209, Hadith 1619, and Sunan Ibn Majah: 3879]

➍ The Prophet ﷺ would also recite upon waking at night:

لَا اِلٰهَ اِلَّا اللهُ الْوَاحِدُ الْقَهَّارُ، رَبُّ السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ الْاَرْضِ وَمَا بَيْنَهُمَا الْعَزِيْزُ الْغَفَّارُ​

"There is no deity except Allah, the One, the Overpowering. The Lord of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them, the Exalted in Might, the Forgiving."

[Al-Sunan al-Kubra by An-Nasa'i 4/400, Hadith 7688 with a sound chain, Sahih Ibn Hibban, Al-Ihsan: 5505 and another version: 5530, Al-Mustadrak by Al-Hakim 1/540, Hadith 1980, authenticated on the condition of the two Shaykhs and confirmed by Al-Dhahabi!]

Note:

Other authentic narrations exist in the collections of Hadith regarding this. Any authentic and proven supplication made with faith and sincerity brings reward. These supplications can be recited separately or combined.

➎ Supplications made in the last part of the night are accepted. The Prophet ﷺ said:

"Our Lord, blessed and exalted, descends every night to the lowest heaven when the last third of the night remains and says: Who is calling upon Me so that I may answer him? Who is asking of Me so that I may give him? Who is seeking My forgiveness so that I may forgive him?"

[Sahih Bukhari: 1145 and Sahih Muslim: 758]

➏ Abu Huraira (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Messenger of Allah ﷺ said:

"When one of you sleeps, Satan ties three knots at the back of his head. He blows on each knot, saying: You have a long night, so sleep. If he wakes up and remembers Allah, one knot is untied. If he performs ablution, the second knot is untied. If he prays, all knots are untied, and he wakes up energetic and in good spirits. Otherwise, he wakes up in a bad mood and lazy."

[Sahih Bukhari: 1142 and Sahih Muslim: 776]

➐ After waking up (before performing Tahajjud), first, use the miswak thoroughly.

[See Bukhari: 245 and Muslim: 255]

➑ If necessary, relieve oneself, perform Istinja, and then perform the prescribed ablution.

The Method of Prescribed Ablution is as follows:

➊ Begin ablution with بسم الله. The Prophet ﷺ said:

"There is no ablution for the one who does not mention the name of Allah over it."

[Sunan Ibn Majah: 397 with a chain that is Hasan]

The Prophet ﷺ instructed his companions: "Perform ablution, and say Bismillah." [Sunan an-Nasa'i 1/61, Hadith 78 with an authentic chain, Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah 1/74, Hadith 144, and Sahih Ibn Hibban, Al-Ihsan: 6510, another version: 6544]

➋ Perform ablution with (pure) water. See: [Surah An-Nisa: 43 and Surah Al-Ma'idah: 6]

Note:

It is not permissible to perform ablution with Nabidh, beverages, milk, or similar liquids as they are not classified as water, nor is it proven that ablution can be performed with them.

➌ Use the miswak with every ablution.The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: "If it were not for the difficulty on my Ummah, I would have ordered them to use the miswak with every prayer."

[Bukhari: 887 and Muslim: 252]

➍ Wash your hands three times at the beginning.

[Bukhari: 159 and Muslim: 226]

➎ Then rinse your mouth and nose three times.

Note:

It is better to use one handful of water for both rinsing the mouth and the nose, as established by Sahih Bukhari (191) and Sahih Muslim (235). However, if one rinses the mouth and nose separately, it is also permissible, as evidenced by Ibn Abi Khaythama's "Al-Tarikh al-Kabir" [p. 588, Hadith 1410 with a chain that is Hasan].

➏ Wash your face three times.

➐ Wash your hands up to the elbows (including the elbows) three times. [Bukhari: 159 and Muslim: 226]

➑ Wipe your head once.

Wipe your head with both hands, starting from the front and moving to the back of the neck, then return to the starting point. [Bukhari: 185 and Muslim: 235]
Wipe your head once. [Sunan Abi Dawood: 111 with an authentic chain]

Note:

Some narrations mention wiping the head three times. [Sunan Abi Dawood: 107 with a chain that is Hasan, 110 with a chain that is Hasan]
Therefore, both methods are permissible.

➒ Wipe your ears (inside and outside) once. [An-Nasa'i 1/73, Hadith 101 with a chain that is Hasan, Sunan Abi Dawood: 121 with a chain that is Hasan, 137 with a chain that is Hasan, Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah: 151, 167 with a chain that is Hasan]

Abdullah ibn Mas'ud and Anas ibn Malik (may Allah be pleased with them) would wipe the inside and outside of their ears. [Al-Sunan al-Kubra by Al-Bayhaqi vol. 1, p. 64 with an authentic chain]

Abdullah ibn Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) would insert his index fingers into his ears and wipe the inside, while wiping the outside with his thumbs. [Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah 1/18, Hadith 176 with a chain that is Hasan]

Then wash your feet up to the ankles three times.

Note:

It is necessary to wash the parts of ablution three times as established by authentic Hadiths, but washing them twice or once is also permissible.

[Bukhari: 157, 158]

⓫ During ablution, one should interlace the fingers and toes. [Abi Dawood: 142 with a chain that is Hasan, Al-Tirmidhi: 39 who said: “This is a Hasan Gharib Hadith”]

⓬ One should also comb through the beard. [Al-Tirmidhi: 31 who said: "This Hadith is Hasan Sahih" / its chain is Hasan]

⓭ After ablution, one should sprinkle water on the private parts. [Sunan Abi Dawood: 168 from the Messenger of Allah ﷺ with a chain that is Hasan]

Abdullah ibn Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) would sprinkle water on his private parts after ablution. [Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah vol. 1, p. 167, Hadith 1775 with an authentic chain]

Abdullah ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: If one of you performs ablution, he should take a handful of water and sprinkle it on his private parts. If he then feels something (due to whispering), he should think it is from the water he sprinkled. [Musnad Musaddad quoted in Al-Matalib Al-Aliyah: 117 with an authentic chain, Ibn Hajar said: "Authentic as a mawquf narration" / Mukhtasar Al-Matalib Al-Aliyah: 117]

Note:

Sprinkling water on a towel after ablution is not proven from any Hadith.

⓮ There is no authentic supplication to be recited during ablution. Some people recite:

اللهم اغفرلي ذنبي ووسع لي فى داري و بارك لي فى رزقي​

during ablution, quoting it from "Amal Al-Yawm wa Al-Laylah" by Ibn al-Sunni (28) and others, but this narration is weak by chain. Abu Majliz's meeting with Abu Musa al-Ash'ari (may Allah be pleased with him) is not proven. See [Nataij Al-Afkar by Ibn Hajar vol. 1, p. 263, session: 53, and Tamam Al-Minnah by Al-Albani p. 95]
In contrast, it is proven from Abu Musa (may Allah be pleased with him) that he would recite this supplication:

اللهم اغفرلي ذنبي و يسّرلي فى أمري و بارك لي فى رزقي​

after prayer. [Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah vol. 1, p. 297, Hadith 3033 with an authentic chain, Younus bin Abi Ishaq is free from Tadlis]

⓯ After performing ablution (and Ghusl), drying the body or not drying it, both ways are permissible.The Prophet ﷺ did not take a towel after Ghusl. [Sahih Bukhari: 276 and Muslim: 317]

Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) would dry his face with a towel after ablution. [Al-Awsat by Ibn al-Mundhir vol. 1, p. 415, 422 with a chain that is Hasan]

Bashir bin Abu Mas'ud (a companion by vision) would dry himself with a towel.

[Al-Awsat vol. 1, p. 415, 424 with an authentic chain]

⓰ The following actions invalidate ablution:Urination, defecation, passing gas (from the front or back), sleeping, touching a woman with desire, touching the private part, discharge of pre-seminal fluid or semen, intercourse, and eating camel meat.

⓱ After performing ablution, recite the following supplications:

٭ اَشْهَدُاَنْ لَّا اِلٰهَ اِلَّا اللهُ وَحْدَهٗ لَا شَرِيْكَ لِهٗ، وَاَشْهَدُاَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا عَبْدُهٗ وَ رَسُوْلُهٗ.​

"I bear witness that there is no deity but Allah, alone without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and messenger."

[Muslim: b 234/17 and Dar Al-Salam numbering: 554]

Whoever performs a complete (prescribed) ablution and recites this supplication (then prays two Rak'ahs), the eight gates of Paradise are opened for him, and he may enter through whichever one he wishes.

[Muslim: 234]

Note:

The weak narration in Sunan Al-Tirmidhi (55) mentions:

اللهم اجعلني من التوابين و اجعلني من المتطهرين​

but this narration is weak due to the chain being disconnected. Abu Idris Al-Khaulani and Abu Uthman (Saeed bin Hani / Musnad Al-Farooq by Ibn Kathir 1/111) both did not hear anything from Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), and see my book “Anwar Al-Sahifa Fi Al-Ahadith Al-Daifa” [no. 55]

٭ سُبْحَانَكَ اللّٰهُمَّ وَ بِحَمْدِكَ، اَشْهَدُاَنْ لَّااِلٰهَ اِلَّا اَنْتَ، اَسْتَغْفِرُكَ وَ اَتُوْبُ اِلَيْكَ.​

"Glory be to You, O Allah, and all praise is due to You. I bear witness that there is no deity but You. I seek Your forgiveness and turn to You in repentance." [An-Nasa'i in Al-Kubra: 9909 with an authentic chain, Amal Al-Yawm wa Al-Laylah: 81, An-Nasa'i said: "This is a mistake, the correct version is as a Mawquf narration" / the Mawquf version is also narrated in Al-Kubra: 9910 with an authentic chain, both the Mawquf and Marfu' versions are authentic, and all praise is due to Allah]

Note:

It is not proven to raise the eyes towards the sky and point with the index finger while reciting the supplication after ablution. The narration in Sunan Abi Dawood (170) mentioning raising the eyes towards the sky is weak due to the unknown status of Ibn 'Am Zohrah. Ibn 'Am Zohrah was classified as unknown by Hafiz Munziri. [Awn Al-Ma'bud vol. 1, p. 66, published by Farooqi Kutub Khana Multan]

⓲ Then, pray two Rak'ahs of the night prayer and end each set of two Rak'ahs with Tasleem.

[Muslim: 736]

1. Before the morning Adhan, pray the last prayer of the night, one Rak'ah Witr. [Bukhari: 990 and Muslim: 749]
  2. Supplications Before the Fajr Prayer
➊ When the Mu'adhin calls the Adhan (for Fajr), repeat the words (silently or in a low voice) except for the following phrases:٭ When the Mu'adhin says حي على الصلوٰة, respond with لَا حَوْلَ وَلَا قُوَّةَ اِلَّا بِاللهِ. [Muslim: 385]

Whoever recites this supplication sincerely (regularly) will enter Paradise.

After the Adhan is complete, recite the following supplication:

اَشْهَدُاَنْ لَّا اِلٰهَ اِلَّا اللهُ وَحْدَهٗ لَا شَرِيْكَ لَهٗ، وَ اَنَّ مُحَمَّداً عَبْدُهٗ وَرَسُوْلُهٗ، رَضِيْتُ بِاللهِ رَبًّا وَّ بِمُحَمَّدٍ رَّسُوْلًا وَّ بِالْاِسْلَامِ دِيْنًا.​

"I bear witness that there is no deity except Allah, alone without partner, and that Muhammad is His servant and messenger. I am pleased with Allah as my Lord, Muhammad as my messenger, and Islam as my religion."

[Muslim: 386]

Whoever recites this supplication will have his sins forgiven.

Then send salutations upon the Prophet ﷺ.

[Mukhtasar Sahih Salat Al-Nabawi: 42]

Then recite this supplication:

اَللّٰهُمَّ رَبَّ هٰذِهِ الدَّعْوَةِ التَّامَّةِ وَ الصَّلوٰةِ الْقَآئِمَةِ، آتِ مُحَمَّداًنِ الْوَسِيْلَةَ وَالْفَضِيْلَةَ، وَ ابْعَثْهُ مَقَاماً مَّحْمُوْدًانِ الَّذِيْ وَعَدْتَّهٗ.​

"O Allah, Lord of this perfect call and established prayer, grant Muhammad the means (highest position in Paradise) and virtue, and raise him to the praised station You have promised him."

[Bukhari: 614]

Whoever recites this supplication (regularly), the Prophet ﷺ will intercede for him on the Day of Resurrection. In Al-Bayhaqi's narration, the following addition is mentioned after these words:

اِنَّكَ لَا تُخْلِفُ الْمِيْعَادَ "Verily, You do not break Your promise." [Al-Sunan al-Kubra 1/410 with an authentic chain, Al-Sunan al-Saghir by Al-Bayhaqi 1/103, Hadith 270 with an authentic chain]

➋ Then pray the two Rak'ahs (Sunnah) of Fajr. In the first Rak'ah, recite Surat Al-Kafirun and in the second Rak'ah, recite Surat Al-Ikhlas. [Muslim: 726]
Other recitations are also permissible.

[Sahih Muslim: 727]

➌ If one prays the two Rak'ahs of Fajr at home, it is Sunnah to lie down on the right side afterward.

[Bukhari: 626 and Muslim: 736]

Abdullah ibn Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) would not lie down after these two Rak'ahs. [Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah vol. 2, p. 248, Hadith 6385 with an authentic chain]

Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) saw a man lying down after the two Rak'ahs and said:احصبوه "Throw pebbles at him." [Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah vol. 2, p. 248, Hadith 6387 with a strong chain]Since it is proven that Sa'id bin Al-Musayyib saw Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), this chain is connected. Therefore, it is also permissible not to lie down after the two Rak'ahs.

➍ Then (after the Fajr prayer), go to the mosque. It is established to recite the following supplication while going to the prayer:

اَللّٰهُمَّ اجْعَلْ فِيْ قَلْبِيْ نُوْرًا، وَّفِيْ لِسَانِيْ نُوْرًا، وَّاجْعَلْ فِيْ سَمْعِيْ نُوْرًا، وَّاجْعَلْ فِيْ بَصَرِيْ نُوْرًا، وَّاجْعَلْ مِنْ خَلْفِيْ نُوْرًا، وَّمِنْ اَمَامِيْ نُوْرًا، وَّاجْعَلْ مِنْ فَوْقِيْ نُوْرًا، وَّمِنْ تِحْتِيْ نُوْرًا، اَللّٰهُمَّ اَعْطِنِيْ نُوْرًا.​

"O Allah, place light in my heart, on my tongue, in my hearing, in my vision, behind me, in front of me, above me, and below me. O Allah, grant me light."

[Muslim: 763/191 and Dar Al-Salam numbering: 1799]

➎ When entering the mosque, enter with your right foot first. The evidence is the Hadith where the Prophet ﷺ preferred to start all matters with the right.

[Bukhari: 426 and Muslim: 268]

➏ When entering the mosque, send salutations upon the Prophet ﷺ.

[Sunan Abi Dawood: 465 with an authentic chain]

That is, say:

اَلسَّلَامُ عَليٰ رَسُوْلِ اللهِ​

"Peace be upon the Messenger of Allah.

"Then recite:
اَللّٰهُمَّ افْتَحْ لِيْ اَبْوَابَ رَحْمَتِكَ"​

O Allah, open for me the doors of Your mercy." [Muslim: 713]And recite this supplication:

اَعُوْذُ بِاللهِ الْعَظِيْمِ، وَ بِوَجْهِهِ الْكَرِيْمِ، وَسُلْطَانِهِ الْقَدِيْمِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ.​

"I seek refuge in Allah, the Mighty, and in His noble face, and His eternal authority from the accursed devil." [Abi Dawood: 466 with an authentic chain]
Whoever recites this supplication will be protected from the evil of Satan for the whole day.

➐ When leaving the mosque, send salutations upon the Prophet ﷺ. [Ibn Majah: 773 with a Hasan chain, authenticated by Ibn Khuzaymah: 452 and Ibn Hibban, Al-Mawarid: 321, and Al-Hakim 1/210 and Al-Dhahabi]

And recite:

اَللّٰهُمَّ اعْصِمْنِيْ مِنَ الشَّيْطٰنِ الرَّجِيْمِ​

"O Allah, protect me from the accursed devil."

[Ibn Majah: 773 with a Hasan chain]

Or recite this supplication:

اَللّٰهُمَّ اَجِرْنِيْ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ​

"O Allah, grant me refuge from the accursed devil." [Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah: 452 with a Hasan chain]Then recite this supplication:

اَللّٰهُمَّ اِنَّيْ اَسْئَلُكَ مِنْ فَضْلِكَ​

"O Allah, I ask You for Your favor."

[Muslim: 713]
  1. Supplications After the Fajr Prayer
➊ Immediately after saying Salaam, say out loud: اَللہُ اَكْبَرُ (Allah is the Greatest). [Bukhari: 842 and Muslim: 853]This supplication is for after every obligatory prayer.

➋ Say Istighfar three times:اَسْتَغْفِرُاللهَ، اَسْتَغْفِرُاللهَ، اَسْتَغْفِرُاللهَ"I seek Allah's forgiveness, I seek Allah's forgiveness, I seek Allah's forgiveness." And recite this supplication:اَللّٰهُمَّ اَنْتَ السَّلَامُ، وَمِنْكَ السَّلَامُ ، تَبَارَكْتَ ذَالجَلَالِ وَ الْاِكْرَامِ"O Allah, You are Peace, and from You comes peace. Blessed are You, O Possessor of Majesty and Honor." [Muslim: 591]This supplication is also for after every prayer.

➌ After the obligatory morning and evening prayers, recite the following supplication seven times:اَللّٰهُمَّ اَجِرْنِيْ مِنَ النَّارِ"O Allah, save me from the fire." [Abi Dawood: 5079 with a Hasan chain, authenticated by Ibn Hibban, Al-Mawarid: 2346]

Note:

The narrator Harith bin Muslim was declared trustworthy by Ibn Hibban, and some scholars listed him among the companions. Such a narrator's Hadith does not fall below the level of Hasan. See [Al-Talkhis Al-Habir vol. 1, p. 47, Hadith 70 by Rabah Jeddah]

Hafiz Ibn Hajar declared this narration as "Hasan."

[Nataij Al-Afkar vol. 2, p. 326, session: 191]

Munziri indicated its Hasan status.

[Al-Targhib wa Al-Tarhib 1/303, 304]

And Haithami declared Harith bin Muslim trustworthy.

[Majma Al-Zawaid 8/99]

Back