Books Attributed to Imam Abu Hanifa

Written by: Muhammad Sufi

Three books and two treatises are attributed to Imam Abu Hanifa. These are:

1. Al-Fiqh al-Akbar
  2. Al-Alim wal-Muta'allim
  3. Kitab al-Hiyal
  4. Al-Wasiyyah
  5. Risalah ila Uthman al-Batti
Among these, only Kitab al-Hiyal can be authentically traced back to Imam Abu Hanifa. The other works are falsely attributed to him. Below is a detailed analysis of these texts:

1. Al-Fiqh al-Akbar​

One of the chains of transmission for this book is:

Muhammad bin Maqatil al-Razi, from Issam bin Yusuf, from Hammad bin Abi Hanifa, from Abu Hanifa.

For a book to be correctly attributed to an author, it must be proven with a sound chain of transmission. Here, we examine the chain of this book critically.

The conditions of the narrators in this chain are as follows:

Muhammad bin Maqatil al-Razi:

Hafiz Dhahabi in Al-Mughni fi al-Du'afa (2/635) and Hafiz Ibn Hajar in Taqrib al-Tahdhib (6319) have labeled him as "weak." There is no statement affirming his reliability, and Hafiz Dhahabi states:
"He is among the weak narrators who are abandoned." (Tarikh al-Islam, Dhahabi, 5/1247)

Issam bin Yusuf al-Balkhi:
  • Imam Ibn Adi states:
  • "Issam has narrated from Sufyan al-Thawri and others, but no one has corroborated his narrations." (Al-Kamil fi Du'afa al-Rijal, Ibn Adi, 5/371)
  • Imam Ibn Hibban comments:
  • "He was a scholar of Hadith and trustworthy in narration, but sometimes he made mistakes." (Al-Thiqat, Ibn Hibban, 8/521)
  • Imam Khalili says:
  • "He is truthful." (Al-Irshad, Khalili, 3/937)
However, Hafiz Ibn Hajar quotes Imam Ibn Sa'd as saying:

"He was considered weak in Hadith." (Lisan al-Mizan, Ibn Hajar, 4/168)

Hammad bin Abi Hanifa:

• He is considered a "weak" narrator. There is no statement affirming his reliability.
  • Imam Ibn Adi states:
  • "I do not know of any sound narration from him that I can mention." (Al-Kamil fi Du'afa al-Rijal, Ibn Adi, 2/253)
  • He further comments:
  • "Neither Isma'il bin Hammad bin Abi Hanifa, nor his father Hammad, nor his grandfather Abu Hanifa were considered reliable narrators of Hadith. I have included all three in my book among the weak narrators." (Al-Kamil fi Du'afa al-Rijal, Ibn Adi, 1/314)
  • Hafiz Dhahabi also states:
"He was considered weak by Ibn Adi and others due to his poor memory." (Mizan al-I'tidal, Dhahabi, 1/590)

Given the above, the authenticity of Al-Fiqh al-Akbar as a work by Imam Abu Hanifa is highly doubtful. It is falsely attributed to him, which is why the scholars and the people of truth have disregarded it.

Moreover, this brief treatise, spanning five to six pages, is filled with errors and misleading beliefs. It contains the misguided Ash'ari creed, and Mulla Ali Qari, a Hanafi Mu'tazilite, has added Mu'tazilite beliefs in his commentary, further exacerbating its flaws. It contains nothing that aligns with the beliefs of Ahl al-Sunnah wal-Jama'ah, the true followers of Islam. In other words, it is a collection of ignorance, misguidance, lies, and falsehoods.

2. Al-Alim wal-Muta'allim​

This book is also incorrectly attributed to Imam Abu Hanifa. Its chain of transmission is as follows:

Abu Muhammad al-Harithi al-Bukhari, from Muhammad bin Yazid, from al-Hasan bin Salih, from Abu Maqatil, from Abu Hanifa. (Introduction to Al-Alim wal-Muta'allim by al-Kawthari)

1. Abu Muhammad Abdullah bin Muhammad bin Ya'qub al-Harithi al-Bukhari:
    • He is a highly criticized narrator.
    • Imam Abu Zur'a Ahmad bin Husayn al-Razi (d. 357 AH) states:
    • "He was a weak narrator." (Su'alat al-Sahmi, p. 228)
    • Ibn al-Jawzi states:
    • "Abu Sa'id al-Ruwasi said: He was accused of fabricating Hadith." (Mizan al-I'tidal, Dhahabi, 4/496)
    • Ahmad al-Sulaymani says:
    • "He would combine one chain of transmission with another text and vice versa." (Mizan al-I'tidal, Dhahabi, 4/496)
    • Hafiz Dhahabi states:
    • "This is a form of fabrication." (Mizan al-I'tidal, Dhahabi, 4/496)
    • Imam al-Hakim comments:
    • "He was known for narrating strange and isolated reports from trustworthy narrators." (Mizan al-I'tidal, Dhahabi, 4/496)
    • Hafiz al-Khatib al-Baghdadi states:
    • "He was known for narrating strange and rejected reports." (Tarikh Baghdad, al-Khatib, 10/127)
    • He further adds:
    • "He is not to be relied upon." (Tarikh Baghdad, al-Khatib, 10/127)
    • Hafiz Khalili states:
    • "He was known as the 'Ustadh'. He had knowledge of Hadith but was weak. He would narrate reports that contradicted those of trustworthy narrators. We have narrated strange reports from him through al-Malahimi and Ahmad bin Muhammad bin Husayn al-Basir." (Al-Irshad, Khalili, 3/185)
    • This is the state of Abu Muhammad al-Harithi, for whom there is no statement of reliability.
  2. Muhammad bin Yazid:
    • He is an "unknown" and unidentified narrator. His mention is not found in the books of Rijal.
  3. Hafs bin Aslam al-Samarqandi:
    • He is a "liar" and a "fabricator of Hadith."
    • Imam Qutayba bin Muslim narrates an incident where he confronted Abu Maqatil about a Hadith:
    • "O Abu Maqatil! Is this fabricated?" He replied, "O Baba! It is written in my book, and you say it is fabricated?" I said, "Yes, the liars have inserted this Hadith into your book." (Al-Kamil fi Du'afa al-Rijal, Ibn Adi, 2/392-393)
    • Ahmad al-Sulaymani states:
    • "He is among those who fabricate Hadith." (Lisan al-Mizan, Ibn Hajar, 2/323)
    • Imam al-Jawzjani comments:
    • "He would fabricate a chain of narration for a good statement." (Ahwal al-Rijal, p. 345)
    • Imam Ibn Adi states:
    • "He is not among those whose narrations can be relied upon." (Al-Kamil fi Du'afa al-Rijal, Ibn Adi, 2/394)
Given this, the attribution of Al-Alim wal-Muta'allim to Imam Abu Hanifa is also incorrect.

Analysis of the Narrators and Texts Attributed to Imam Abu Hanifa​

Imam Ibn Hibban states:

"He narrates such deniable reports that, upon consulting the books of Hadith, it becomes clear that these have no reliable basis."

(Al-Majruhin, 1/256)

Imam Al-Hakim remarks:

"He narrated fabricated Hadiths attributed to 'Ubayd Allah, Ayub al-Sakhtiyani, Mis'ar, and others."

(Al-Madkhal ila al-Sahih, p. 130-131)

Imam Al-Bayhaqi also deemed one of his Hadiths as "not strong." (Shu'ab al-Iman, 6/187, Hadith: 7861)

Hafiz Abu Nu'aym al-Isbahani says:

"He narrated deniable reports attributed to Ayub al-Sakhtiyani, 'Ubayd Allah ibn 'Umar, and Mis'ar."

(Al-Du'afa, Abu Nu'aym, p. 52)

Hafiz Dhahabi labeled him as a "liar." (Al-Kashf al-Hathith, p. 718) and added:

"He is one of the abandoned narrators." (Al-Mughni, Dhahabi, 2/809)He further comments:"He is accused and weak."

(Tarikh al-Islam, Dhahabi, 6/458)

Ibn Tahir al-Maqdisi says:

"He is an abandoned narrator."

(Ma'rifat al-Tadhkirah fi al-Ahadith al-Mawdu'ah, 1/214)

However, Hafiz Khalili mentions:

"He was well-known for his honesty and knowledge."

(Al-Irshad, Khalili, 3/975)

This comment by Hafiz Khalili seems to be an error, as he might not have been aware of the criticisms made by other scholars about this narrator. Therefore, his opinion, which contradicts the consensus of the scholars, cannot be accepted.

It is clear that this book is falsely attributed to Imam Abu Hanifa. This text is also filled with misguidance and contradicts the consensus beliefs of Ahl al-Sunnah wal-Jama'ah.

3. Kitab al-Hiyal​

This book is authentically attributed to Imam Abu Hanifa, but it has not survived to the present day. It is no longer extant.

Imam Al-Khatib al-Baghdadi narrates:

"Muhammad ibn 'Ubayd Allah al-Hanai narrated to us, saying: Muhammad ibn 'Abd Allah al-Shafi'i informed us, who said: Muhammad ibn Isma'il al-Sulami told us, who said: Abu Tawbah al-Rabi' ibn Nafi' told us, who said: 'Abd Allah ibn al-Mubarak said: Whoever studies Imam Abu Hanifa's Kitab al-Hiyal will find himself justifying what Allah has forbidden and forbidding what Allah has permitted."

(Tarikh Baghdad, 13/426)

Let us review the narrators of this chain:

Imam Abu Bakr Ahmad ibn 'Ali, known as Al-Khatib al-Baghdadi:

• He is a trustworthy Imam. Hafiz Dhahabi writes:
  • "He was one of the notable scholars, and he mastered this field. He authored many books that spread across the world." (Tarikh al-Islam, Dhahabi, 10/175)
Muhammad ibn 'Ubayd Allah ibn Yusuf al-Hanai:
  • Imam Al-Khatib says:
  • "We have written Hadiths from him. He was trustworthy, pious, and devoted, staying mostly at home." (Tarikh Baghdad, Al-Khatib, 3/336)
Imam Abu Bakr Muhammad ibn 'Abd Allah ibn Ibrahim al-Shafi'i:
  • Hafiz Dhahabi describes him as:
  • "An Imam, Hadith scholar, proficient, authoritative, jurist, and the hadith master of Iraq." (Siyar A'lam al-Nubala', Dhahabi, 16/39-40)
Muhammad ibn Isma'il al-Sulami:
  • He is a trustworthy memorizer. (Taqrib al-Tahdhib, Ibn Hajar, 5738)
Abu Tawbah al-Rabi' ibn Nafi':
  • He is a trustworthy authority. (Taqrib al-Tahdhib, Ibn Hajar, 1902)
  1. Imam 'Abd Allah ibn al-Mubarak:
    • He is a trustworthy, firm, jurist, scholar, generous, and a warrior. (Taqrib al-Tahdhib, Ibn Hajar, 3570)

4. Kitab al-Wasiyyah​

This book is also incorrectly attributed to Imam Abu Hanifa. The chain of transmission to him is:

Abu Tahir Muhammad ibn al-Mahdi al-Husayni, from Ishaq ibn Mansur al-Mis'ari, from Ahmad ibn 'Ali al-Sulaymani, from Hatim ibn 'Aqil al-Jawhari, from Abu 'Abd Allah Muhammad ibn Sama'ah al-Tamimi, from Abu Yusuf, from Imam Abu Hanifa. (Usul al-Din 'an Abi Hanifa by Dr. Muhammad al-Khamis, p. 139)

Let us examine the narrators in this chain:

1-4. Muhammad ibn al-Mahdi al-Husayni, Ishaq al-Mis'ari, Ahmad al-Sulaymani, and Hatim al-Jawhari:

• These four narrators are unknown and not mentioned in the books of narrators (kutub al-rijal).
  1. Qadi Abu Yusuf:
    • He is considered a "weak" narrator according to the majority of Hadith scholars.
This book is filled with fabrications that contradict the beliefs of Ahl al-Sunnah wal-Jama'ah.

5. Risalah Abi Hanifa ila 'Uthman al-Batti​

This treatise contains the misguided belief of "Irja’" and is attributed to Imam Abu Hanifa through the following chain:

Yahya ibn Mutrif al-Balkhi, from Abu Salih Muhammad ibn al-Husayn al-Samarqandi, from Abu Mu'id Sa'dan ibn Muhammad al-Busti, from Abu al-Hasan 'Ali ibn Ahmad al-Farisi, from Nasir ibn Yahya al-Balkhi, from Muhammad ibn Sama'ah al-Tamimi, from Abu Yusuf, from Imam Abu Hanifa. (Introduction to Al-'Alim wal-Muta'allim by al-Kawthari, p. 5-6)

1-4. Yahya ibn Mutrif al-Balkhi, Muhammad ibn al-Husayn al-Samarqandi, Sa'dan ibn Muhammad al-Busti, and 'Ali ibn Ahmad al-Farisi:

• None of these narrators are mentioned in any books of narrators, making them unknown.
Nasir ibn Yahya al-Balkhi:

• He is also an "unknown" narrator, with no statement affirming his reliability.
Qadi Abu Yusuf:

• According to the majority of Hadith scholars, he is considered a "weak" narrator.
Even Imam Abu Hanifa himself advised Abu Yusuf:

"Do not narrate anything from me, for I do not know whether I am right or wrong."

Conclusion
In summary, the majority of the works attributed to Imam Abu Hanifa cannot be considered authentic due to the unreliable nature of the narrators and the inconsistencies found in the chains of transmission. Only Kitab al-Hiyal can be reliably traced back to Imam Abu Hanifa, while the rest, such as Al-Fiqh al-Akbar, Al-Alim wal-Muta'allim, Al-Wasiyyah, and Risalah ila Uthman al-Batti, contain unreliable narrators and contradict the beliefs of Ahl al-Sunnah wal-Jama'ah. Therefore, caution should be exercised when associating these texts with Imam Abu Hanifa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back